Today I guide you on how to design a blog(with pictures). Different people obviously got different reasons for running a blog or wanting to start one. With a blog you can express yourself in a fashioned and unique way.
Your reasons for wanting to start your own blog could be but not limited to the following;
- You might want to share your ideas.
- Another could be to promote your business
- Desire to make money online
- Reaching out to others in order to help them with problems you’ve overcome on the long run
- To establish yourself as an expert and leading authority in your niche
So I have written this Guide on How to Design a Blog just for you. how to design a blog
Things you will learn after reading this detailed Guide on How to Design a Blog
- What a blog is
- How to choose a blogging platform
- How to register and host a domain name
- Also how to design and customize your newly created blog
- We shall also cover how to write and publish your first post as well as adding pages
So grab a cup of coffee or your favorite fruit juice let’s get started…
I have found out from experience and observation how often people make mistakes when starting a blog, this sometimes lead them to abandoning the project altogether. However, I have detailed out this Guide on How to Design a Blog in other to help you avoid these mistakes.
Are you ready? Lets begin
What is a blog?
A blog according to Wikipedia is a discussion or informational website published on the World Wide Web consisting of discrete, often informal diary-style text entries(Posts).
What the above grammar means in a simple word is “a blog is a website that you regularly update”.
Most bloggers often write from a personal experience that allows them to connect with their readers. Furthermore, most blogs have a “Comments” section which allows readers to directly interact with the blogger.
This interaction allows you to share ideas and connect with other like-minded people and also help you answer any question that may arise from your blog readers.
You don’t need to be an expert on a particular niche for you to have a successful blog. However to be a successful blogger, your need to have great passion on your niche.
I will advise you to choose a niche/topic you are knowledgeable about and comfortable with as this will on the long run make it relatively easier before you proceed to learn How to Design a Blog
Steps to create your own blog
Step One: Choose the Right Blogging Platform
For the purpose of this tutorial, we will use the most powerful content management system WordPress. There are tons of options out there of course. These include but not limited to: Blogger, Joomla, Tumblr etc.
However given that over 74 Million Active Users are on WordPress today, I bet you now understand while I choosed WordPress. This very blog runs on WordPress.
Here is While I Use and Recommend WordPress
- WordPress is FREE ( just register and host your domain and install WordPress with one single click.
- WordPress has Super Active Support Forum.
- WordPress is secure. WordPress is always updating their CMS, cleaning up and keeping their CMS secure and sound. Big brands like CNN, Ebay, Microsoft News, Sony and even Facebook Use WordPress.
- WordPress is highly customizable. There are thousands of free themes and plugins that you can use to make your blog top notch.
Do not create your blog on free platforms like wordpresss.com
Here is why…
- When you host your blog on free or rather another website e.g wordpress.com, blogspot.com, they can shut down your blog at any point in time especially if you violate their terms of service without warning
- Most of the free blogging platforms do not allow you to advertise. This makes it more harder to monetize your blog.
- You can’t customize your blog.
- Your website URL will be long making it even very hard to remember e.g yourblog.wordpress.com instead of a branded and unique domain name you choose.
I will recommend your create a self-hosted blog on your very own unique domain
Step Two: Buying and Registering a Domain
Things are becoming more fascinating right? You’ll need two things in other to set up a hosted blog on any domain of your choice.
Domain Name: Consider this as your brand/blog address. This is what your readers will use to look your blog up in their various browsers and even search engines e.g www.youblogname.com.
I will show you where to buy and host your domain for relatively cheap amount.
Web Hosting: Consider this as a computer hard disk that holds all the content on your blog (videos, images, blog post etc.) Simply put, it’s the home of your blog url and posts you will publish on your blog.
You might want to take off 3 mins and figure out what your domain name should be….
That’s it… Times up
How did it go? Where you able to come up with a domain name?
Here are a few tips to help you come up with a great and outstanding domain name:
- The name should be easy to type and pronounce just like BloggingLodge.
- Keep it concise and relatively short.
- Name must represent your brand or niche.
- Name must be easy to remember.
Now that you got one, you would ask next…
Where do I get a domain name and hosting? Very smart question
In other to get your domain name and hosting
I highly recommend Namecheap (this is where I hosted this very blog and my other blogs). If you purchase and host a domain using my link above, I will earn a commission. This is how I keep BloggingLodge up and running.
Again I already covered how you can Register and Host a Domain with Namecheap here.
Make sure you read the guide on Namecheap hosting before you proceed to the next step. Just click here
So now that you have read that, lets proceed…
Here is a summary of the guide on how you can host a bog on Namecheap (or any other web host of your choice)
- Signup with a web hosting (I recommend Namecheap).
- Choose the hosting plan of your choice (It can be the cheapest one for a start).
- Pick a domain name for your blog.
- Complete hosting registration.
- Install WordPress
Step 1-4 have been covered here
So back to the last one “Install WordPress”
Having successfully bought and hosted your doman on Namecheap, lets proceed to install WordPress. Follow these steps…
- Check your inbox to access the Namecheap hosting mail. There you will find your Cpanel username and password.
- Click on the Cpanel link and login
- Once you are logged in, navigate to the bottom of your Cpanel homepage
Locate Softaculous Apps Installer and click on WordPress
- Click on install
- Fill out the form accordingly(select your blog destination URL) and then select any theme of your choice to get started.
Scroll down and click install
- You should get a success message similar to this
Congratulations… Your blog is live and you now know ho to make a blog using WordPress. You have installed WordPress and set up your blog on your own own! YES
so you now know the following;
- What a blog is.
- How to choose a blogging platform.
- detailed guide on how to register and host a domain on Namecheap.
Make sure you have already created a blog before you proceed to the next steps.
You can always Contact Me Here if you are facing any challenges.
What you still have to learn from this guide include;
- How to design/customize your newly created blog.
- Adding pages and publishing your first blog post.
Step Four: How to Design/Customize your Newly Created Blog
One of the key features of WordPress as I mentioned earlier if you recall vividly is the vast collection of themes and plugins available for its users for FREE. With these themes and plugins, you can easily customize your blog to give it a professional feel, touch and look. Changing your blog’s layout and design is as simple as installing a new theme.
Now let’s change your blog theme…
- Login to your WordPress Dashboard
Head over to www.yoursitename.com/wp-login to get started.
Once you are logged in you’ll see a dashboard or admin panel that looks similar to this one below
- Next… Mouse-over the “Appearance” tab in the WordPress sidebar
Then click on “Themes”. You can either activate one of the themes you see there or click on “Add New”
- If you clicked “Add New”, you will see a variety of options like the one below.
Select the theme you like(you can always change this later) and then click install.
In my case I installed Steep. Once installation is complete, click on activate.
Congrats you just changed the look and feel of your blog.
Let us configure your blog to make it search engine friendly…
There are two major things I want you to do here;
- You Must Avoid Clumsy URL’s e.g. http://yourblogname.com/2017/07/topic-a/author-Celestine/how-to-start-a-blog. A much search engine friendly way is to use: http://yourblogname.com/start-a-blog
Did you spot the difference? One is filled with irrelevant information and the another one is short, clean and neat.
For you to achieve this, click on the “Settings” -> “Permalinks” and use the following settings:
- Always Moderate Comments – Lots of people leave automate spam comments on your blog for a couple of reasons –
To get people from your blog to their blog and to advertise their services/products.
In other to avoid that, make sure you moderate your comments. Here’s how to do that:
Go to “Settings” -> “Discussion” and tick those two options as shown below.
Step Six: How to Write and Publish your First Post as well as Adding Pages
At this very stage, you now have a fully working WordPress blog on your very own domain. A big congrats for getting this far…
In this section, I’ll show you…
- How to write a post inside WordPress
- We will also add images, links, format text and add pages
- Some quick tips and tricks for writing great content
Add a New Blog Post
To add a new blog post, click the “Posts” section on the left hand side-menu, then click on “Add New”.
On the next screen, you’ll see something like this:
Add the title to your blog post in the top field, and your content goes in the big text box below the title.
You can save your draft or publish your content live by using the box menu on the far right of the page and as well schedule the post to be published later.
Once published, you will find your new post in the “All Posts” section of the “Posts” tab, so you can edit it any time.
Let’s take a quick look at how you can format your text/content:
Adding Images to your Post
For you to add an image to your post, click the “Add Media” button right above the lower content field.
Image Tip: Before you click “Add Media”, be sure you’ve left your cursor inside of your blog post where you want the image to show up. Otherwise, you’ll have to move it later on.
Next, click the “Upload Files” tab on the screen that pops up, then click “Select Files”.
Once you’ve found the file, double click it and WordPress will upload it automatically.
When the upload is finished, make sure the image you want is selected, then click the “Insert into post” button to add the image to the post you’re writing.
Adding a Link to your Post
Linking out to other websites is a great way to boost Search Engine Optimization, build relationships and share interesting content.
To add a link, click on the icon in the toolbar that looks a bit like a chain link. See it below
On the pop-up menu, you’ll need to enter a few important information.
- URL is the web address of the link you want to share. Make sure you include “http://” before the “www.” address, or your link will be broken.
- “Link Text” is the text you want people to click on to get to your link. It might be “Click here”, or anything you choose.
- “Open link in a new window/tab”– it’s a smart idea to check this box. Otherwise, when someone clicks your link, they’ll leave your blog.
- If you want to link to an existing page, you can use the “Search” section to find a post or page you’ve already created and click it to add a link.
Finally, click “Add Link”, and your link will be added where you left your cursor in the post you were writing.
What to do next?
Obviously you have set up your blog and known the basics on How to Design a Blog, it’s time to make your blog successful.
Go on start posting…
Before you leave:Read also
Was this post Guide on How to Design a Blog useful? Do you have any question?
Please let me know in the comment box below …. I will really love to hear from you and don’t forget to share with your friends….